I found this today in my inbox. Clovis isn’t this small but it is a whole lot different than Bakersfield.
1. The “road hog” in front of you on Main Street is a farmer’s
2. The local phone book has only one yellow page.
3. Third Street is on the edge of town.
4. You leave your jacket on the back of the chair in the cafe,
and when you go back the next day, it’s still there, on the
5. You don’t signal turns because everyone knows where you’re
6. No social events can be scheduled when the school gym floor
is being varnished.
7. You call a wrong number and are supplied with the correct
8. Everyone knows all the news before it’s published; residents
read the hometown paper just to see whether the publisher
got it right.
Here’s my list:
1. People actually like paying more for “organic” produce.
2. You are considered a speed demon if you drive 70mph in the 65mph zone.
3. The town allows you to leave a pile of yard waste, appliances, car parts, old furniture, and other junk on your curb for their trucks to pick up. And they don’t mind having it sit there for a few weeks until they can schedule you in.
4. Wooden wagon wheels serve as posts to chain your bicycle to.
5. You can go to lunch and ask for a glass boot to drink Dr. Pepper out of.